Curtis L. Olson writes:

> Norman Vine writes:
> > Curtis L. Olson writes:
> > >
> > > Think about this another way ... do a profile of flightgear.  I bet
> > > you will find that the graphics rendering portion of FlightGear takes
> > > 90-95% of the entire application work load.
> >
> > FWIW here are my results from the last time I profiled FGFS trying
> > to determine what percentage of time was actually spent drawing
> > This was about a year ago, but I doubt if things have changed much
> >
> > >   %   cumulative   self              self     total
> > >  time   seconds   seconds    calls  ns/call  ns/call  name
> > >  59.20      0.74     0.74    40047 18478.29 19976.49  fgRenderFrame(void)
> > >  20.00      0.99     0.25    39218  6374.62  6374.62  fgUpdateTimeDepCalcs(void)
> > >  16.00      1.19     0.20                             fgMainLoop(void)
> >
> > Norman
>
> Also we need to be careful to consider that actual profiling numbers
> could vary drastically between platforms, video cards, cpus, operating
> systems, video drivers, profiling tools :-), etc.

This is all very true, the above figures are on a 733mz machine with
a geForce2

> And also it should be pointed out that FlightGear has a *very* CPU/time
> expensive startup and initialization sequence.  This also needs to be
> considered when interpretting the profiling numbers.  The longer you
> run flightgear, the more the actual running app numbers will become
> dominant, and the less dominant the initialization numbers will be.

Note fgUpdateTimeDepCalcs() and fgMainLoop() are *only* called after
all initialization is done, so if anything,  they actually consumed a bit more
then their recorded usage time whereas fgRenderFrame is the opposite :-)

Cheers

Norman