Martin Spott writes:

> Lawrence Manning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Have no idea at all where those aircraft come from!  But I believe I can
> > answer the last point.  The jumping around is because of the way the
> > multiplayer feature works; it simply transmits coordinates at regular
> > intervals  So the other guys position updates N times a second (I've tried
> > 10 over a VPN to my mates LAN).  Thus the other plane appears to jump
> > rapidly from point to point in the sky.  Of course, it would be cool if it
> > transmitted velocities as well, thus the other machine could "guess" at
> > where it is going between updates.
>
> You're describing how the IEEE1278 (DIS) protocol works  :-)

If you have a time series of positions, you have a time series of velocities
  ie the velocity is just the first difference ( Pi - P(i-1)) /  dT;
And acceleration is just the 2nd differeance

so all you need is to keep track of the difference vectors
for the Positions dX, dY, dZ and the Rotations HPR,
and the Positional, and Rotational accelerations

< probably easiest to keep these in Vector form but in essence >
dX   = (ThisX-LastX)/dT  # Velocity in X
ddX = dX - last_dX          # Acceleration in X
etc...
http://www.shodor.org/cserd/Resources/Algorithms/NumericalDifferentiation/index.php

Even better is to feed the positions into a Kalman Filter
http://seneca.me.umn.edu/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2003-June/018511.html

Keep in mind that these techniques work best with 'continious' functions
but this should still give *much* better AI for the *vast* majority of the
time as 'normal' Flight is reasonably 'smooth'

Cheers

Norman