On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Lee Elliott wrote:

> I was playing at intercepts last night (and I think it was the first time I'd
> run FG properly since updating a couple of days ago).
>
> I had a B-52 flying on AP between KLAX and KSEA in TF mode at low level and
> was flying a YF23 out of KSFO when I noticed a few other aircraft en-route to
> the intercept area.  One of them was either the 747 or another B-52 and
> another looked like one of the GA a/c (although I was further away from it).
> I followed one of the big jet a/c up to 10,000ft but didn't chase it further
> then, to check exactly what a/c it was as I wanted to make the intercept.
>
> This was all miles away from KEMT.
>
> I was wondering if these were a new feature of the AI developments or were
> they mis-placed instances of my target a/c?
>
> I was intentionally flying at dusk for the low light conditions and at first I
> thought I was seeing a rendering glitch.  It was certainly a bit of a
> surprise:)
>
> I should just add that this was on a lan with no on-line connection to the
> net;)
>
> Regarding multiplay, even though my lan's 100mb and the lan loading is pretty
> light, the 'other' a/c jump around a lot when I get close them.  What is the
> most likely cause of this?

Have no idea at all where those aircraft come from!  But I believe I can
answer the last point.  The jumping around is because of the way the
multiplayer feature works; it simply transmits coordinates at regular
intervals  So the other guys position updates N times a second (I've tried
10 over a VPN to my mates LAN).  Thus the other plane appears to jump
rapidly from point to point in the sky.  Of course, it would be cool if it
transmitted velocities as well, thus the other machine could "guess" at
where it is going between updates.  This is all from guessing at how it
works; I've not looked at the code or anything.

The other interesting thing is positions of flaps, speed of the prop etc,
are not transmitted.  This means that if you get close to the other
aircraft you can see his prop looks to be going at the same speed as yours
(this is obviously much easier to see on the runway).

Even with these charactastics, mutliplay is still great fun! :)

Lawrence