>From the FWIW department ...

Today I was able to get FlightGear running on a 5 projector wrap
around display.

Here is a picture of the facility (when it was running other
software):

   http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/Facilities/simpics/screenandcar_small.jpg

There are 5 forward channels each covering 42 degrees fov for a total
of 210 degrees field of view.  Each projector is running at 1024x768
resolution so this is a 6020x768 pixel display system.

Our once hot PC hardware is now pretty sub-par in terms of performance
so I was only getting 20-30 fps (sometimes less) which was
disappointing.  This subpar performance leads to jitters and tiny
mismatches between adjacent screens which largely goes away if you can
run all the channels locked at 60hz.  (Oh, and at the moment there is
really no possibility of removing the annoying vehicle in the middle
and replacing it with a C172 cockpit.) :-P

Even so, it was pretty neat to fly in such an immersive environment.
I initially started in the Wright Flyer and it was fun to look out
through the wings and struts and wires surrounding me.

I might try again and use a laptop inside the vehicle for flight
controls (rather than sitting at the console on the perimeter of the
sim.)  We also have a rear channel which I could fire up as well.

So that's it, nothing more to see here, please move along ... I just
thought I'd mention it in case someone finds it moderately interesting
or in case anyone has been wondering about setting up something
similar themselves.

Regards,

Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org