Christopher S Horler wrote:
Fuel Burn - I think someone mentioned this once

Yes, this is definitely messed up (for JSBSim at least. I have not investigated any of the others). Some issues I've found are: the density of the fuel is wrong, somewhere along the line gallons are passed to a method which expects pounds, and the specific fuel consumption resulting from the power calulation is a little bit off. I added an adjustable parameter in the JSBSim engine file for that. Let me see if I can find some code to paste here (a diff will be rather meaningless by now)...

// From src/FDM/JSBSim/FGPiston.cpp:

  // in FGPistion()
    // init default fuel-flow adjustment
    ff_adjustment(0.92),

    // get an (optional) adjustment value from the config
    else if (token == "FF_SCALAR") *Eng_cfg >> ff_adjustment;

  // in doAirFlow()
    // the '2' below is supposed to be 'Cycles'
    // double swept_volume = (displacement_SI * (RPM/60)) / 2;
    double swept_volume = (displacement_SI * (RPM/60)) / Cycles;

  // in doFuelFlow()
    // see ff_adjustment declaration above.
    m_dot_fuel = m_dot_air / sr_fuel * equivalence_ratio *ff_adjustment;
    // keeping gph, but FGTank knows about fuel in pounds, not gals
    // so adding _pph for ConsumeFuel()
    FuelFlow_pph = m_dot_fuel
      * 3600                    // seconds to hours
      * 2.2046;                 // kg to lb
    // changed 'kerosine' to 'av-gas' (6.6 to 6.0)
    // eventually we'll want to config this so that we
    // can burn deisel, alcohol or hydrogen (for example).
    FuelFlow_gph = FuelFlow_pph / 6.0; // lb to gal_us of av-gas

  // in CalcFuelNeed()
    // FGTank knows about pounds, not gallons
    return FuelFlow_pph / 3600 * State->Getdt() * Propulsion->GetRate();

Kris