Hi Jim
Are you working on a low poly version of the 747 for scenery work.
I was working on it yesterday.Regrouping the fuse to use one texture and removing the wing and gear textures to reduce the load.
I was planing to just apply a material to the wings, gear and horz stabilizer.Grey(silver) for the wings and stab and black for the wheels. I have mapped the Southwest texture to the fuse and reduced it to 256x256 it is a bit grainey up close but ok from a hundred meters plus.
I am going to have a look at removing all the individual control surfaces and the 3D cockpit to see how it looks.
What we need to be able to do to put a few static A/C around is to be able to use the one model with multiple textures, as it is now you have to create a separate model for each different airline.This is going to lead to rather large scenery files.Even now the default file for SFO is getting quite complicated with .ac files and the textures that go with them.Is there some way using xml or C to have the 3D scenery in there own file and get called by the .stg file instead of having them all in the scenery file as they are now.
As I am rather new to AC3D I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions.

1 How do you set the scale for the model.I have had a look in the docs and the program but can't find how to do it.

2 How do you know what direction the model is facing.When I go to place the A/C in the scenery it does not seem to face in the same direction as what the flight model is facing.Eg: yesterday I placed a model using the heading of the flight model but the static model ended up facing in a different direction by about 60 to 90 deg ???.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Is anyone doing static A/C scenery for the default area airports as I was planning on populating some of the airports with static A/C.

Cheers
Innis

"Jim Wilson"  writes

Using the "reduce" function in ac3d and deleting a few objects I was able to
reduce the 747 model almost 80% without remapping textures at all. Note that
you have to experiment with reducing different parts of the model different
percentages (the ctrl+z comes in handy for this kind of experimenting :-)).
The result is
a little rough up close, but from a couple hundred meters viewing distance it
looks pretty much the same.

Screen shot:
http://www.spiderbark.com/fgfs/747reduced.png

Best,