Thanks, but this is not working - here is the output: usr/local/src is for
downloads and the local CVSROOT is /usr/local/source.

I am not confident what this means, because I cannot see the function of
having a local CVSROOT. However, it appears to mean that the module does not
exist on the server.

??

So I tried checking it out into the ROOT, on the basis that the local root
has to have some function, but I don;t understand it.  Surely the root is
where the developed files are - on the server.  As I read the CVS anonymous
login instructions, it seems to be necessary to create the local root, check
out the files from the server root into it, and then checkout the files
locally again before they can be used.  Is this actually correct or am I
missing something?

linux:~ # cd /usr/local/src
linux:/usr/local/src # mkdir SimGear
linux:/usr/local/src # cd SimGear
linux:/usr/local/src/SimGear # cvs -d
:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/cvs/SimGear-0.3 login
Logging in to :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:2401/var/cvs/SimGear-0.3
CVS password:
linux:/usr/local/src/SimGear # cvs checkout SimGear
cvs checkout: cannot find module `SimGear' - ignored
linux:/usr/local/src/SimGear # cd ..
linux:/usr/local/src # cd ../source
linux:/usr/local/source # cvs checkout SimGear
cvs [checkout aborted]: Cannot check out files into the repository itself
linux:/usr/local/source #

Could you indicate from which location your commands should be run?

Thanks for taking the time over this - it has been driving me nuts.