Gerhard Wesp wrote:
> On the contrary.  I haven't followed this discussion too closely and
> I'm no physicist either, but this sounds to me exactly like static vs.
> gliding friction.

Yes, there are separate coefficients of friction for the static
vs. dynamic case.  But these are only different numbers.  The problem
is that the *model* (the algorithm used to compute results) must
change in the static case.

In the dynamic (skidding) case, it is enough to know that the
coefficient of friction will be proportional (by the dynamic
coefficient of friction) to the normal force into the ground, and be
in a direction opposite the velocity.  This works.

The problem is that in the static situation, this model breaks.  It's
still physically correct, mind you, but it leads to numerical
instability in the algorithm because of the very high velocity
derivatives of the force function (i.e. the problem is "stiff" in the
differential equation sense).  Fixing *this* by interpolating the
force function over small velocities leads to a stable but
non-physical solution that exhibits the "drift" problem that was
talked about.

> Isn't that a bit of oversimplification?  My car will skid in at least
> two dimensions if I try hard enough :-) And a small amount of skidding
> will always be present.

It's not a simplification, it's a complication.  A static spring in
two dimensions requires storing a location and computing a distance.
What do you do when the location has changed becaues the tire was
rolling?  You need to use the velocity and compute a 1D distance from
where the tire "would" have been.  Ick.

Andy