On Sunday 06 November 2005 14:47, Mathias Fröhlich wrote:

> But looking at those problems with ATIs closed source drivers, I must say
> that NVidia seems to work better.
Certainly I've stuck with nvidia for all jobs involving graphics ever since
Matrox fell behind, and I've not had reason to regret it so far...

> On the other hand, many people see massive performance hits with current
> NVidia drivers in presence of OpenGL points (all our lights are such
> points ...). The NVidia card at work does not show any problem with FG at
> night, but that one is a extremely expensive Quadro card certified for
> professional CAD use (often many points/lines).
AFAIK this bug disappeared a while ago - it only affected a particular driver
release (or releases, I'm not certain).

Certainly I upgraded the nvidia drivers on an affected machine last week and
framerates were back to normal.

> All together no 'better choice' ...
I really don't like closed source anything, and device drivers in particular,
but IME nvidia's offerings are about as good as could be hoped for in the
circumstances (although obviously not perfect.)

I'd switch allegiance in a flash if well performing, stable, open source
drivers were available for some other reasonably priced cards though.

Cheers,

AJ