On Monday 07 November 2005 12:05, Martin Spott wrote:
> You should have a closer look at the upcoming XOrg-6.9/7.0 that'll
> contain OpenSource drivers for the ATI Radeon X8x0 series.
Good news indeed - I knew there were OS drivers for ATI cards in exisistance,
but hadn't heard too much about their usability yet...

> This is why I typically buy ATI: There _is_ a chance that OpenSource
> drivers appear after some time while you still have closed binary
> drivers to fill the gap. With nVidia you can be certain that you'll
> _never_ see OpenSource drivers. I think this makes an essential
> difference.

I agree with you, of course; only if one is working on a project which needs
solid graphics support _now_ then one doesn't have quite the same
flexibility.  From what I see, the ATI binary drivers are a good bit behind
nvidia in the "fit and forget" hassle-free stakes.

For my own (FG!) use, though, I'll be watching the progress of those open
source drivers closely because my own nvidia card is nearing retirement age
and I have an aversion to running any non-open source drivers.

Cheers,

AJ