Erik Hofman wrote:

> The FDM already reveals when the brakes are applied in the property
> tree. One thing that still is missing (and I have a solution for the
> next JSBSim release) is a ground-speed property.

Yeah, but just putting them on doesn't make them skid (I hope). Hearing
screeching wheels when you tap your brakes during a slow speed taxi
would be a bit silly. You would need to know at least the force from the
wheels and the coefficient of friction for the current conditions. The
latter I suppose you could make a good educated guess at based on the
weather.

Ground speed is a very useful thing to have, especially on a by-wheel
basis. It allows for very good looking wheel rolling animations during
taxi turns. Andy put this into YASim a while back, and it makes the B29
wheels look just plain hot. (my only small complaint is that they don't
spin down after takeoff, so if you forget to tap your brakes after
takeoff, the wheels will still be spinning when you lower you gear for
landing!)

If the ground speed where to reflect the wheels locking up that would be
even cooler, but it still won't tell you when the wheels are skidding
sideways enough to cause a screech. This is something that you probably
want if you are ever planning on doing a ground loop, and I tend to do a
lot of those in FG ;)

Josh