On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 20:25, Steve Knoblock wrote:
> If an aircraft has its own autopilot, the default dialog
> does not come up, but if it does not specify an autopilot, the default
> dialog comes up.

Not quite. I've just discovered that the autopilot works(*) with the
Colditz Glider!

Let's see: a WWII escape glider built from floorboards and bedsheets and
lacking *any* instruments apart from a yaw-string, does feature a
fully-functioning autopilot! You've gotta take your hat off to those POW
dudes....

On second thoughts, just possibly there's a bug here!

We seriously need an item in the 'instruments' XML where a 'plane can
request the default autopilot be available if:

1) The plane actually *has* an autopilot (**)

and

2) The author doesn't want to bother with writing their own (yet).

In the long term we could argue that the second case above isn't
required - the dialog should only be available if the plane actually has
an autopilot. In the case of the Cessna (and maybe others) where a
"real" autopilot has been modelled, the dialog should be there, but set
values in the "real" autopilot simulation.

However, I'd suggest that the two-part test above be put in to sort out
the most gratuitous ill effects in the current code *before* 1.0.0 comes
out.

Something similar should probably also be done for things like comms and
nav radios (again, the Wright Flyer and Colditz Glider don't have them),
in fact the *entire* "Equipment" menu item ought to be grayed-out for
those two planes.

All the gliders would want to disable the "Fuel Settings" dialog in that
menu item. All historic craft would want to disable "GPS settings".

Sheesh: there's a good bit of work to be done around here. The "systems
failures" dialog box should only have boxes for systems that the plane
in question actually has! The "altimeter settings" dialog should be
greyed out on any plane that doesn't have an altimeter (Wright Flyer,
Colditz Glider and the Hang Glider I suppose).

Steve

(*) "Velocity control using pitch" oscillates badly. Heading control is
fine.
(**) I suspect the FlightGear "1903 Wright Flyer" has autopilot too...