Erik Hofman wrote:

> How would we all fell about minimizing the number of command line
> options in favor of the --prop:<prop>=<value> method and make sure all
> of them are explained in a document rather than the help message.

I see three reasons opposing this idea:
1.) I'm not sure but I assume you can't use ":" inside a command line
    option on certain platforms (Windows).
2.) Too often people want to do '<command> -h [-v] | grep -i <keyword>'
    in order to search for a certain option, they don't want to browse
    a supplemental text file.
3.) Every effort spent into another duplication of such information is
    waste. If someone really wants to revamp '-h -v' I suggest to
    create a method that browses the property tree and to force any
    available option to carry an explanation that is attached to the
    respective object in the mentioned tree.
    Duplication of such information unavoidable results in some sort of
    mess - _always_  :-))

Cheers,
        Martin.