This is a bit off topic, but I know there are a few sysadmin/unix weenies that hang out here (myself included) so this might be of interest to a few people.

Flightdeck-UI is an open source/free software project that utilizes the ideas in aircraft controls and instruments design for creating general purpose user interfaces.

http://www.openlight.com/fdui/

That's intriguing in and of itself. From the screeshots (http://www.openlight.com/fdui/screens.html) and demo (http://www.openlight.com/fdui-panels/) it appears to be most useful as a system (or multi variable) monitoring tool.

I'm not sure if it's poised to knock KDE/Gnome off the top of the heap, but it's an interesting project.

Regards,