On Monday 12 June 2006 20:06, Martin Spott wrote:
> Honestly, I'm really curious to know what the _real_ driving force is
> behind this protectionism.
> Is this stupid arrogance ("if they want to participate, they'll have to
> follow our rules - not matter if it makes sense"), simply incompetence
> ("one of these bad guys out there might compromise our servers if the
> protocol gets published") or do they really have to fear something if
> some third party implements their protocol ?

I think it's just a case of lazy developers thinking that "security via
obscurity" is a viable route. It's a Micro$oft mentality that rubs off on
people.
Writing a secure protocol requires lots of work - it's easier to just do
what's required and try hide the security holes.
The open source mentality is very foreign concept to most Windows users.

Paul