On Friday 04 August 2006 15:26, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Curtis L. Olson -- Friday 04 August 2006 15:34:
> > I will point out that while it's possible to force the YF-23
> > into this extreme state, if you fly it in a more normal
> > range, it behaves pretty normally.
>
> Not for me. I actually noticed the problems during "normal"
> flight. I chased the KA6 and, because (unlike in real life)
> there's no indication how far it's still away, I was a tad too
> fast when I noticed it coming nearer and nearer. I tried to
> fly some narrow curves, but unlike in all other fgfs aircraft,
> this didn't decelerate, but *accelerate*.
>
> Of course, I'm not a pilot, and in real life there'd be a FCS
> with g-limiter, and my body would warn me earlier, too, but
> that's no excuse. Unfortunately, we don't have a single
> halfway modern fighter in fgfs, that is not totally broken.
> The F16 is pathetic and unusable since JSBSim 2.0. The
> hunter/seahawk work nicely, but aren't exactly modern.
>
> > So personally I think the YF-23 is a pretty fun plane to
> > fly, even if it isn't 100% perfect.
>
> Sorry, no offense to Lee -- it's still very well done 3D model
> wise, but I find it a bit embarrassing to show off in the
> NTPS. I'm not even sure if this is an old bug or if it's
> caused by later YASim changes. I don't remember ever having
> seen such unrealistic behavior, and I used to fly the YF23 a
> lot at times.
>
> m.

Hi Melchior,

been out or watching Tintin movies all weekend but I have been
following this thread.

I haven't flown the YF-23 for a long time but I spent ages on it
when I first did it and don't recall ever seeing this behaviour.
This isn't to say that it doesn't happen of course - I seem to
be the only person who has problems with the weather/altitude
settings behaving randomly.

Anyway, I just checked the output from the stand-alone solver and
there doesn't seem to be anything suspicious in it:

Solution results:       Iterations: 530
 Drag Coefficient: 14.044194
       Lift Ratio: 160.218765
       Cruise AoA: 0.343368
   Tail Incidence: -0.639466
Approach Elevator: -0.593619
               CG: -1.609, 0.000, 0.369

Drag's a bit low and the lift is a bit high but you've got to
remember that it is a low drag design and the wing is huge -
it's defined up to the center-line.  I can't see anything there
that gives any clues about accelerating without putting energy
in.

Can you reproduce it while under control of the A/P?  That should
help me reproduce it here.

LeeE