Hi, I hope I'm posting to the right ml.
I tried to find out what was wrong with ATI cards, and the 3d clouds
code. For information, my system is a laptop with an ATI Mobility X700
graphics card. I run a debian testing, with a 2.6.16 "home build"
kernel, and I use the ATI proprietary driver (fglrx) version 8.27.10. I
also have a winXP, with which 3d clouds work well. I use flightgear
0.9.10

I did some quick and dirty debugging in the RenderTexture class (using
the TestRenderTexture program), and find out, that the reason it doesn't
work, is that neither GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, or GLX_SGIX_pbuffer extensions
are supported by the ATI GLX implementation :
$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method,
GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier,
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
    GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON X700 Generic
OpenGL version string: 2.0.5946 (8.27.10)
OpenGL extensions:
[snip]

This causes the initialize method of a RenderTexture object to fail
quite early on (in _VerifyExtensions()). As a result, the bbcache code
returns this during init :
"bbcache:Initialize failed, RTT not available for 3D clouds"

So here are a few questions :
-> I am totally off ? (I have absolutely no background in OpenGl
whatsoever). Is there somebody using those ATI driver, who can confirm
that those two extensions are not there ? (and that it's not some @#!%
driver installation bug on my system)

-> If this is indeed the problem, should someone file a ticket to ATI to
ask for support of those extensions in coming releases of the drivers ?

-> Or should the 3d clouds code be written to use the FramebufferObject,
which seems to be (from what I could gather on the net) a replacement
for older off-screen rendering and Rendering To Texture using pbuffers
extensions.
BTW, this GL_EXT_framebuffer_object is supported by the ATI drivers.

Regards,

--
Jocelyn Couetdic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>