>    A backup communication method might be good, but I'm not keen at
>    all on the idea of having to look two places for the same kind of
>    content. My feeling is that it should be one or the other.

    Agreed. I think a forum has advantages over say a mailing list.  But
then having both might not do any good. It's as hard to argue whether
things should go into the wiki or the manual. I've seen many forums
ended up having like 20 sticky posts at the top for useful
information/FAQs.

    A note on phpbb: I have 3 phpbb setup for friends on my server and
it constantly get spams and, and got hacked in multiple times (just the
phpbb part, not the server/system). Now I'm not going to debate here
where php/phpbb is good or bad, but my point is it might bring in quite
a bit of administrating/monitoring/baby sitting work.

Pigeon.