Vivian Meazza schreef:
> Obviously someone who keeps right up-to-date with FG, and reads our
> website
> :-). Try this:
>
> http://www.flightgear.org/Projects/
>
> John Wojnaroski is particularly active in this field
>
> Vivian

I know about the OpenGC project, but that'ts not really what I was
looking for.

ARINC661, for example, has a clear separation between the display
graphics and the rendering engine. The ARINC661 instruments are based on
SVG vector-based artwork, compiled into byte code (purely for size
issues). The display units 'run' this byte code and convert it into the
appropriate image.

Problem with OpenGC: The display graphics are hard-coded in the source
code of the project, and currently only Boeing-related. No Airbus, no
Honeywell, and definitely no steam gauges.

For example as comparison, FS2004, as well as the FG instrument system,
use stacked bitmap images which have arrangements defined in an XML
file. Why not make an application that does that externally? In the long
run, if OpenGL is used as a rendering API, it could also be used to
render vector-based images as well. I'm targeting a generic audience,
from a Cessna flyer to a 744 or 787 pilot. Keep the actual graphics out
of the program code, but the rendering in there.

For speed, you could reduce this to a VM-based architecture, with the
instruction set corresponding to OpenGL rendering commands and the data
in memory being the A/C data pulled out of a simulator like FG, FS2004
or PS1, hence almost a full ARINC661 implementation.

On the hardware front, each DU could be driven by their own TFT display
(portrait) and a Mini-ITX form factor board on the back. MiniITX boards
have LVDS connections on board, and are powerful enough to run 2D
graphics. If a DU fails, the network code could be programmed to detect
that and let another DU take over. Some of the intelligence could be
transferred from FG to the external applications and interface logic,
while still keeping FG up to date on any changes, through the property
system.