On Thursday 06 December 2007 18:27:06 John Denker wrote:
> It might help to have some sort of download-on-demand feature.
> Then the "base package" can be quite small, containing just the
> name, thumbnail, and short description for each aircraft, plus
> the full model for a verrry small number of aircraft.
Actually, I've often thought that this would be a nice feature.  Not one that
belongs in fgfs though (IMO), but in fgrun.  I don't think that
having --show-aircraft display non-installed aircraft would be useful, for
example.

> This is a pretty serious user-interface issue, because it is
> completely unreasonable to expect users to download new aircraft
> when they don't know what's available.  Showing them a menu of
> what's available makes a huge difference.
I think we already do this far better than either MSFS or X-Plane, since
(largely due to the free/OSS nature of FG and most of our models) practically
all available aircraft for FGFS are available directly from the downloads
page (complete with thumbnail!)

But I would definitely love to see an aircraft download & install feature in
fgrun...

Cheers,

AJ