On 12/29/2007 01:49 PM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> Microsoft is known to fund and get such schemes
> done.

> ..skillful trolls would inject such forgeries into especially heated
> debates to try maximize the conflict, to try run developers off this
> project, preferably in disgust.  I suspect several of you guys here
> has been subject to such forgeries.

Microsoft conspiracies?  Forgeries?  Well, such things are
"possible" ... but there is a simpler hypothesis that must
be considered:  There is one person on this list who is
quite capable of sending non-MS-funded non-forged hate mail.
When this is sent off-list, it does not show up in the
archives.

>  I suspect several of you guys here
> has been subject to such forgeries.

Forgeries?  No.  Definitely not in this context.

Hate mail?  Yes.

==================================

Tangential remarks:

1) I've seen plenty of phishing scams with forged headers, but
that's not what we're talking about here.

2) Constructive suggestion: If you are really worried about
forgeries, you should pgp-sign your messages.
 -- As the Joss W. put it:  It is better to light a candle
  than to curse the damn darkness.
 -- pgp signatures are vastly more effective than telling
  somebody to "check the mail headers".
 -- Indeed there are many development lists that will not
  accept patches unless they are signed.