On Tuesday 12 February 2008 17:21, Robin van Steenbergen wrote:
> LeeE wrote:
> > This is just for info and probably mainly directed at Roy
> > Vegard Ovesen but it might also interest other people
> > interested in setting up autopilot systems.
> >
> > As I've mentioned previously, I've had some problems tuning PID
> > controllers, specifically controllers that maintain a specified
> > pitch i.e. input is a target pitch and the output is an
> > elevator-trim deflection.  The problem is that the controller
> > needs to be fairly 'brutal' in it's control at low speeds
> > during take-off, to initiate rotation and prevent
> > over-rotation, but this brutality tends to lead to oscillation
> > at higher speeds
>
> Not to be particularly picky, but:
>
> Real-world aviation doesn't use the autopilot for take-off,
> because of this very issue, which is present in real-world analog
> controllers as well. AP is only engaged at acceleration altitude,
> when the gear and flaps are up (clean). Using the AP for climbing
> out in an unclean configuration at a very low speed will require
> a high pitch reference and possibly induce stall.
> TO/GA is sometimes used, though, but the TO/GA setting is a fixed
> pitch reference, and only engaged after rotation, not on the
> runway. One of the main reasons for that is also that the pilots
> still have the ultimate control over the aircraft in case of an
> engine failure.
>
> The 'strength' versus 'instability' issue is inherent to PID
> control mechanisms, if you build a strong controller it will tend
> to oscillate and jitter in situations where small control inputs
> are required, because strong controllers are designed for large
> control changes. It's a classic duality dilemma in control
> engineering, and possibly the only way to compensate for it is to
> implement adaptive parameters to the control system (e.g. the
> 'strength' of the control laws reduce as the airspeed increases
> or the angle of attack reduces).

Thanks for your comments - they fit with what I'm finding &
thinking.

Sure, in piloted aircraft takeoff is handled by the pilot, who is
able to cope with a wide range of possible failures at this
critical phase of flight, but I'm trying to work towards a UAV
control framework, from takeoff roll to landing stop, so that's why
I'm messing about with automated takeoffs, landings and scripted
flight etc.

I also find auto takeoffs, landings and scripted flight useful for
general FDM config & controller tuning for piloted aircraft - it
eliminates variations due to the pilot, in this case me:)

LeeE