On 3 Dec 2008, at 14:23, Martin Spott wrote:

> At the very few cases when I really use FlightGear for simulated
> flying
> - in contrast to just firing it off and to check if everything looks
> and works as predicted - I'm hardly in the need to search for
> waypoints :-)
>
> Therefore it _might_ be helpful, in order to convince people to check
> such function, to give a short abstract of a use scenario ....  but I
> could be wrong on this one.

Well, this is baby steps towards turning the route manager into a
flight-plan system, and showing the active route on a NAV display. But
there's many small pieces - loading plans from disk in some standard
formats, making the sequencing more reliable (for me it is very
unreliable at the moment), and so on.

The way I use the route manager is to figure out a routing using my
Jeppesen charts and plates, and build up a flight-plan. Then I either
enter or load that in to the route manager. Assuming I'm using one of
the aircraft with an FMS/GPS - mostly Syd's - the existing NAV
display / FMS mode on the CDI then gives me nice sequencing along the
route, and distance to the waypoint.

All the current patch does is mean I don't have to omit certain
waypoints which are found 'wrongly' by the route manager, and hence
never sequence.

The next patch will adjust how altitudes are stored, so waypoints can
have an explicitly 'undefined' altitude instead of always using the
navaid / airport altitude, which is not (usually) what is desired.

James