Heiko wrote:

> Flickering -o.k. I can live with that. I noticed the same issue on the MSFS
> x-Demo with their clouds. But it seems that they interpolate the color and
> alpha
> values of the sprites which makes the clouds soft and maybe prevent this
> visible
> sorting we still have. And well- MSFS has money and a lot more people working
> on
> the clouds than we have! (X-pLane has these flickerings too- you can notice
> on a
> video on youtube)
> If I can see right- you have a fps of 26- that's rather high- how you did
> this?
> With this clouds I have around 6fps- and I have usually about 60fps.

Is this with Tim Moore's latest patch?

On my system it increases frame-rates significantly with 3D clouds enabled.

> I really have big fps troubles with stratus and nimbus cloud layers here and
> usually I have no problems to reach 60-100 fps with all features enabled. In
> the
> moment I don't see that we can get this with 3d-clouds and from the
> commercial
> (game)sims I know, that they even use 2d-layers instead.
> So we should use the 2d-layers instead. Maybe we can improve the textures for
> these 2d-clouds.

OK. I'll comment out the stratus and nimbus 3D cloud layers in cloudlayers.xml

> Generelly the clouds appearence is better though of course we should add some
> alpha to the textures. I will try this to make this weekend.

Thanks. If that doesn't work very well, I can add some alpha within the shader.

> The only thing I don't like, that is that the cloud visibility range is only
> 20km and at the horizon they look very blueish- never seen in reality.

This is due to the fog blending. They should still be affected by the sun
position, colour etc.

-Stuart