On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM, John Denker <j...@av8n.com> wrote:

> On 12/31/2008 11:20 AM, Curtis Olson wrote:
> > The way this was explained to me is that JSBSim only performs the wow
> test
> > when it is within 200' of the ground.  Unfortunately, this means that if
> you
> > start in the air higher than that, the gear variables can be left in an
> > unsettled state because the test that sets the variables never gets run.
>
> That's the least of my worries, for several reasons.
>
> I've always thought the 200-ft business was a weird optimization,
> especially since other properties such as gear-extension-norm
> are recomputed at frame rate at all altitudes.  And that is
> the solution for retractable-gear airplanes:  forget about wow
> and just look at gear-extension-norm.  I just hope the latter
> never gets "optimized" into never-never land.
>
> At one point the wow property was fixed so that it would be
> updated at least once above 200 AGL, but the fix evaporated.
> And I don't care anymore.  I'm happy to use gear-extension-norm.
>
> Far more troublesome is the behavior of presets-commit, which
> still has a tendency to put the FDM into unrecoverable states,
> such as uncommanded vertical pitch attitude and zero frame rate.

Once the users intentions have been communicated to the FDM module, it's
really up to the particular FDM, (JSBsim or YAsim) to do the right thing
with the provide information.  That does seem to have broke down at some
point.  I used to be able to happily start both YAsim and JSBsim aircraft in
flight, but had zero luck last time I tried.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/