On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM, John Denker wrote:

> On 01/28/2009 10:20 AM, Tim Moore wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, try
> > starting with /sim/rendering/random-vegetation set to false.
>
> Bingo.
>
> That makes a huge difference.  VIRT = 371 instead of 888.
>
> > I imagine there are a lot of trees around KASE...
>
> Yes.

Hey Tim,

If you are in poking around the random tree code, here's something else I
noticed.  The original OSG implementation had a nice feature where it phased
in tree'd areas little by little ... so as you approached an area, you might
see one or two trees at some medium distance, and as you flew closer, more
and more trees filled in the spaces in between until you got to full
coverage when you were close to an area.  This was subtle enough that often
you didn't even notice the trees being added and removed as you flew.

Lately, with some of the tree related patches and changes, I'm seeing whole
blocks of trees pop in and out at once, which does lead to a distracting
"popping" effect.

I really liked the old subtle way of blending in trees one bit by bit as you
got closer.  It seems like it's only half broke at the moment, sometimes I
see both happening in different areas of the scenery.

Thanks,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/