On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Jon S. Berndt wrote:

> > * Jon S. Berndt -- Tuesday 03 February 2009:
> > > It's a tough problem, [...[
> >
> > Maybe we should hire a rocket scientist?  :-]
> >
> > m.
>

> With our *huge* budget? :-)

I have noticed a measurable uptick in FlightGear interest since MS announced
that they have laid off their entire simulator staff.  I sincerely believe
there is going to be more and more opportunities available for individual
FlightGear consultants to help companies push forward with their FlightGear
related projects.

There have been a couple things over the past years that have come across my
plate which I have snatched up.  Recently there have been a few more things
come through that I just don't have time for.  In some cases I've tried to
identify individual developers that I know have a matching skill set and
contacted them directly.  And in the case of this recent NASA project, when
they had trouble finding a specific individual, I put a call out to the
entire devel team list.   Unfortunately (for us) with this NASA project I
recently posted about, they found an internal person after one of their
other projects was cut. But I'm sure there's a NASA employee that is current
exhaling a big sigh of relief. :-)

So I believe this subject is going to come up more and more often where any
number of companies or research groups will determine that FlightGear is
their best way forward and are willing to hire individual developers
(probably as a temporary consultant, but maybe sometimes as full time
employees) to fill in functionality gaps, fix bugs that are show stoppers to
them, or interface with their existing software or hardware.

I think 2009 will be a very exciting year for the FlightGear project.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/