> From: Martin Spott [mailto:martin.sp...@mgras.net]
>
> This one shows the nose wheel _velocity_ over a timespan, the other
> three diagrams are showing the slip _angle_. To draw a reasonable
> conclusion it would be interesting to see the same measurand, say the
> slip velocity for all of the involved cases and not only for the nose
> wheel but for for the main gear as well.

Oh, blast it. I printed the wrong chart. Well, it was very late ... :-(

> BUT, basically, I'd say this is not the point at all - these are
> interesting theoretical approaches to the problem, but for the 'real'
> user who's getting veered off the apron while he is simply doing a
> proper run-up at a windy location, this is entirely irrelevant.

If this is truly the case, and if it is due to a gear modeling fidelity
issue, then I agree. But, the kind of problem you describe would be a
different issue. Since wind effects are only ramped in as velocity
increases, the example you describe above should not happen with JSBSim.

> I'll tell you that quite a bunch of users is unsatisfied but many of
> them take the current situation as given because they didn't know that
> a proper solution had been available.

It's vitally important that we see such problem reports. I've helped people
tune their gear models successfully. If I don't see the error reports, I
can't help. There is a bug reporting page at the JSBSim web site that should
be used for this:

 http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=119399&group_id=19399&func=browse

You may have to try loading this page twice, since it seems SourceForge is
having problems with its web site, periodically.

> Just for the sake of completeness: Think of a scenario on the carrier,
> you're approaching the catapult from behind ....  oh, too far, you're
> idling the engine, letting the wind blow you backwards while you're
> slowly manoeuvering your aircraft right into the catapult position
> solely by nose wheel steering. That's what I call proper simulation of
> tire ground reactions. FlightGear _could_ do that - it they didn't
> depend decisions made at JSBSim.
>
> Cheers,
>       Martin.

JSBSim also does not (quite yet) do blade element modeling, so it's not easy
to do a proper snap roll. Nor do we model multiple articulated landing gear
struts. Nor do we ...

As with any FDM, there are caveats and limitations. Your last paragraph is a
good example of something I hadn't considered - that one would actually want
to use the wind to do something while at almost zero velocity on the ground.

I can look into that.

Apart from that, do you have a specific proposal in mind?

We should move this to a new thread.

Jon