On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 13:43 +0100, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 13:34:19 Curtis Olson wrote:
> > Here's a question:  Does a 3rd party have the
> > right to ask for the modified source code, even if none of the entities
> > receiving the modified program don't care to ask for the source code?
>
> In short: no. The GPL doesn't require any rights for the whole world, but
> just
> for the users. This makes the GPL a perfectly acceptable license even for
> work with only one intended customer.
>
> Stefan

Stefan's answer would allow company "A" to restrict the potential
customer's freedom to redistribute flightgear.  Anticipated and
specifically addressed in GPL v2

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesWrittenOfferValid

Quote:

 What does “written offer valid for any third party” mean in GPLv2? Does
 that mean everyone in the world can get the source to any GPL'ed
 program no matter what?

        If you choose to provide source through a written offer, then
        anybody who requests the source from you is entitled to receive
        it.

        If you commercially distribute binaries not accompanied with
        source code, the GPL says you must provide a written offer to
        distribute the source code later. When users non-commercially
        redistribute the binaries they received from you, they must pass
        along a copy of this written offer. This means that people who
        did not get the binaries directly from you can still receive
        copies of the source code, along with the written offer.

        The reason we require the offer to be valid for any third party
        is so that people who receive the binaries indirectly in that
        way can order the source code from you.