* Eli Jordan -- Tuesday 14 July 2009:
> as far as I could see the route manager only allows for pre set waypoints,
> such as airports, i was hoping to be able to input co-ordinates (latitude
> and longitude) and have the auto pilot fly between these.

In telnet just type

  set /autopilot/route-manager/input -123.456,37.89

to append this waypoint to the list at runtime. That's <lon>,<lat>.
(Maybe we should swap those?) You can also demand a particular altitude:

  set /autopilot/route-manager/input -123.456,37...@8000

Possible formats are:

  (airport|fix|nav|lon,lat)[...@alt] -- e.g. "k...@900"

There are commands available for clearing the list, removing entries, etc.

  @clear             ... clear route
  @pop               ... remove first entry
  @delete3           ... delete 4th entry
  @insert2:k...@900  ... insert "k...@900" as 3rd entry
  k...@900           ... append "k...@900"

For example

 set /autopilot/route-manager/input @clear

This works also from the property browser, or via Nasal etc. The route
manager dialog uses the same interface.

Of course, you have to use an autopilot which takes the waypoints from the
route manager if you want your aircraft flown through all the points. The
default AP does this.

m.