On Friday 09 October 2009 00:21:11 James Turner wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2009, at 23:05, Vivian Meazza wrote:
>
> > This, or something very like it, is a long outstanding proposal that
> > never
> > quite made it. No one got a round tuit for it I guess. That said, a
> > minute
> > delay on event-driven properties is probably too much.
>
> Well if it's 30 seconds, I think a 30 seconds 'synchronising state
> with MP server' would be fine for most people - especially if it
> happens in parallel with scenery loading.  If it's more like two
> minutes, then it certainly needs some thought, but I'd rather have a
> slightly sub-optimal UX for this case, but support event-drive props.
> (Especially if I want to centralise ATIS / active runways / navaid
> idents in the future, as John Denker has suggested before)
>
> Another option is for the MP server to cache all the props from each
> client, and allow clients to request a 'burst' of the cached state
> right after they connect, but before the normal updates start. I don't
> know how the MP server->server tieing is implemented, but I suspect
> such a cache would also be valuable in proxying event-driven props
> between servers.

I'm actually working on a new MP-protocol. But since fgms is a one-man-show
and my spare time is very limit, progress is very slow.

What I have done so far:

- handle UDP-traffic as a stream. Every client maintaines a receive-queue and
a send-queue. The overlying process (fgms,fgfs) can simply read or write
from/to clients as if it is a standard stream.

- The server maintains a list of clients. Every client has a property tree,
filled with values read over MP-protocol

- The data sent over MP-protocol is defined in a property-xml-file, with
additional attributes defining when to send (on change, evertime, once)

- authentication between client and server

Currently I'm trying to get everything working. I therefor I have written a
pseudo client, called mpdummy. The code is currently not fully functional, as
it is work in progress. I try my best to write some documentation of the
current state over this weekend and put the current development version of
fgms into cvs (the code currently in fgms-cvs is very outdated).

For the curious reader: You can find some information about the protocol and
code under:
http://fgms.sourceforge.net/protocol/ (library documentation)
and
http://fgms.sourceforge.net/protocol.php (description about the protocol)

But keep in mind that this information is not cutting edge.

Cheers,
Oliver