DurkTalsma wrote:

> FWIW, I would like to build a minimum base package this time, which only
> consists of one aircraft, no AI, and a minimal set of shared models. AI and
> other aircraft can be released as a separate ADDON packages, or via CVS.
> Likewise, shared models are now maintained via terrasync/SVN, so that is also
> taken care of.

I'm very, very, concerned with this approach, and see a number of significant
issues:

1) We're effectively telling new users that they need to be able  to install
new
packages and customize their FG installation to do any reasonable level of
virtual flying. With 1.9.1 they could quite happily fly in MP around KSFO and
have a pretty good user experience without installing anything  else. Frankly,
I  doubt that our install tools and instructions are user-friendly  enough to
support this approach. We're requiring a much higher level of computer
know-how from our user-base, so this will have significant implications for our
documentation and the level of basic help that will be required on the Forums.

2) Only including a single aircraft implies that the simulator is only really
designed
for that aircraft, and any other aircraft may represent a compromise in quality
or
capabilities. This will be particular apparent when people do the inevitable
comparison with MSFS and X-Plane, which include a wider selection of aircraft
with the initial install.

3) New users often want to fly a military jet or commercial jet ASAP, despite
this
being an un-realistic goal. If we increase the barrier to entry for these
people to
even get into the cockpit of something that they want to fly, we'll see a lot
more
people giving up on FG before they get hooked.

4) Adequately documenting how to install the various ADDON packages in a way
that can be understood by users, and getting them to RTFM. Martin and I have
put quite a bit of effort into providing instructions for Aircraft and Scenery
in The
Manual, and yet people still have problems. Having to provide additional
instructions
for AI aircraft as well is going to be a pain.

5) Deciding which single aircraft to include, and ensuring that it is a shining
example
of what FG can do. Ideally, we should have decided on the aircraft months ago,
and
encouraged a concentrated effort to make it as complete as possible.

If we are really concerned about the size of the base package, I suggest that
rather than
restrict it to a minimum, we offer two different but complete install images:

1) FG-Lite with a single aircraft, no AI aircraft and a big warning that they
won't be
able to see more than one or two aircraft in MP!
2) FG-Deluxe with a wider selection of aircraft and a full set of AI aircraft.
Much closer to
what we provided in 1.9.1

Of course, this requires a lot more effort from our packagers, and may also
cause some
confusion amongst new users, but if we want to grow the FG community making
things
more difficult for the user is not the way forward.

-Stuart