On Friday 16 Oct 2009, Martin Spott wrote:
> leee wrote:
> > I think you need to accept that many aircraft are indeed
> > broken, and most have been broken by software changes made
> > since the aircraft was released.
>
> No, I don't have to.

Well, I'm afraid that you're in denial then.

> I _do_ accept that some aircraft developers are a little bit
> lazier than others and don't care about maintaining nowadays what
> they have contributed formerly. I also do agree that those who
> are maintaining FDM updates are unable to forward-port every
> single hack in aircraft configurations - even though most of them
> typically try to catch as many of them as possible.
> But, hey, this is open source, some players simply respond and
> proceed quicker than others do.
>
> > Sadly, while no consideration is given to backwards
> > compatibility i.e. by allowing different versions of
> > sub-systems to be used by specifying a version in the
> > appropriate config file, broken aircraft will remain a feature
> > of FG.
>
> Instead of pouring time into a (probably) never ending chain of
> backward compatibility (alias "old cruft") layers, I think the
> effort is much better spent for bringing the respective aircraft
> configurations onto speed for FlightGear's current capabilities.
>
> Cheers,
>       Martin.

Can you not see the self-contradiction in what you've written?

You're claiming that compatibility is purely an issue for aircraft
developers, and not for software developers?

Your assertion that aircraft developers are simply too lazy to spend
all of their available time fixing problems caused by the software
developers is simply insulting.  Sadly though, I think that was
your intention.

Your objections to incorporating backwards compatibility in the
software are similarly distorted and exaggerated.  Backwards
compatibility need not require time to be 'poured' in to it and
doesn't mean a never-ending chain of 'cruft' layers.

First of all, if something is being used then it's not cruft
(although I can see how a lazy software developer could describe it
as such if all they're interested in is new shiny stuff).

Secondly, never-ending backwards compatibility is not a requirement
and at most, only two or three versions might be needed as I think
it would be reasonable to drop +2 old versions.

Thirdly, providing backwards compatibility would be fairly trivial
and need not require lots of time as there's no intrinsic problem
with including several different versions of a module, with the
appropriate one being selected at run time, via a config parameter.
Perhaps some developers are just too lazy to add a new module
though, when they can just hack into the existing one, especially
when any breakages this may cause are the responsibility of those
lazy aircraft developers anyway.

I'm afraid that I just couldn't parse "I think the effort is much
better spent for bringing the respective aircraft configurations
onto speed for FlightGear's current capabilities".

But then I am (was) just a lazy aircraft developer who found that I
had no time to work on new stuff because I was spending it all on
fixing problems caused by developers who, curiously enough, seem to
have no time to avoid or fix those problems because they only have
time to work on new features.

LeeE