Am trying to get the autopilot to follow a NAV1 course, correctly.

It  works, but the behaviour is unexpected, or I got it wrong about VOR
navigation.

Please have a look at the image link below as I am not good at explaining.
http://imgur.com/LL6b9

Approaching a VOR, from say 50nm away, just off the track, then (see red
on image)
* the aircraft will turn toward the VOR at a maximum of 30 degree
correction,
* then at "some" point even 40 nm away  it will start to slowly turn
toward the VOR very very slowly and gradually correct until passing over
the VOR at correct heading (where then aircraft them wobbles).
* The aircraft also never seems to establish on the localiser runway
center line where the "error" is even more critical, although I need to
research more.

The expected behaviour would be for the aircraft to continue at 30 and
then turn directly into the radial at correct course (Blue on image)

I've tried messing about with the "pid", by adding gain, etc but getting
nowhere.

Can anyone offer some advice.

TIA
regards