On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Pete Morgan <ac...@daffodil.uk.com> wrote:
>
>> Has/Does FlightGear participate ?
>>

>> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/03/google-summer-of-code-applications-now.html
>

> We have never participated before, but I see the deadline for organizations
> to apply is March 12 ... coming right up.  It's not like I've got nothing
> else to do, but I like the idea of mentoring.  I can think of many
> individuals who have played a mentor roll from time to time for me and I am
> very appreciative of that.  So I am submitting an application for FlightGear
> (assuming no one else has already.)
>
> Here are some things we need:
>
> 1. Mentors

I agree to be a mentor for graphics projects.

> 2. Student applicants (mentorees).
> 3. A web page listing project/mentoring ideas
>
> 1 & 3 are the most important to have lined up before March 12 (Friday.)
>
> 3. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?

Backup mentors.

> I think we should avoid suggesting projects that are in FlightGear's
> critical path.  I.e. "add aircraft shadows" might be an tempting project to
> suggest, but is this student level work that could be finished in a summer?
>  Do we want to pin all our hopes for aircraft shadows in FlightGear on a
> google summer of code student who may bugout mid stream if it starts looking
> too hard?  If it does get too hard, does that student "fail" or is it us
> that failed as a mentoring organization?

I'll respond to shadows specifically, as I know it's a sought-after feature
and I've sat on it for more than a year.

The problem can be stated as "Use the Open Scene Graph Light Space
Perspective Shadow technique to implement shadows in FlightGear." There are
several well-defined steps, along with some milestones, on the way. For
example:

* Using OSG demo code, get shadows working by overriding all existing
shaders;
* adapt our shaders to use a function call to do lighting calculations;
* change effects code to link different lighting "library" to shaders if
shadows are enabled;
* enable a special shader in an effect when the shadow pass is run;
* modify the OSG shadow technique to interact with our effects code;
* get this working for the aircraft;
* get it working for the whole scene.

Yeah, it's ambitious, but it should be achievable in a summer by someone who
already has 3D graphics knowledge.

Tim