The Git source repositories for Simgear, Flightgear, and the data
repositories are now fully enabled at gitorious.org. A group of developers
and modelers have been making checkins for some days now and all appears to
be working. The repositories are available at: http://gitorious.org/fg.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FlightGear_and_Git is filled with good
information on how to get started with Git, and this will be updated over
the coming days. If you are a developer or modeler and had commit access to
the CVS repository, please register at gitorious.org, upload an SSH key, and
send me a message, either on gitorious or to timoore33 at gmail.com. I will
then add you to the "collaborators" list.

The flightgear and simgear repositories are mirrors that I've maintained for
about a year-and-a-half. They are not strict mirrors of the old CVS repo
because the commit history was different, but the bits are all the same.
These repositories contain history going back to 1997, which I believe was
the start date of the project. The fgdata repository is a copy of the
repository at git://mapserver.flightgear.org/fgdata, plus a couple of
commits to get the data back in sync with the last known CVS state. A big
thanks goes out to Martin Spott for maintaining this, and for supplying me
with an up-to-date CVS checkout!

One major difference between Git and CVS is that the entire history is
stored locally. This isn't a big deal for the source code repos, but the
history for fgdata is quite large, over 2.5Gig. If this is a problem for
you, look into the git technique of making a "shalllow clone," which doesn't
download the history.  You won't be able to make check-ins if you do this.
If you already have a local clone of the mapserver.flightgear.org fgdata
repository, you can add the gitorious.org repo as a remote to it and then
fetch. This will be quite fast because the vast majority of the history is
shared between the two.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or drop by
irc.flightgear.org.

Tim