Yes I think there has been quite some discussion on a move to a more
dynamic, with delegated administration style of website.
I'd like to throw in WordPress as perhaps a better website content
system than Wiki.

Several open source projects have in the past used Wiki as a basis for a
web content system, to be honest it was confusing navigating between
pages.
Ofcourse modifying the layout maybe able to assist here, and I'm sure it
can be done with Wiki, but this is something WordPress does for free.
To modify wiki layouts is going to take quite some effort I'd imagine,
we may find the layout we want is available from some WordPress
community site.
Since WordPress is primarily a blogging tool, and secondary a content
management tool, it already allows you to create pages, and change the
layout of those pages fairly easily.

I'm no WordPress expert, but I have seen folks do many different things
with it, for example it's quite popular with virtual airline websites.
There is also large community of layout designers and plug-in developers
that we can draw on, and as it is also PHP based, so it could run on the
same webserver as the wiki (depending on capacity naturally) if that was
important.

Some different examples from the http://wordpress.org/  showcase list;

  http://www.slashgear.com/

  http://www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/

  http://www.santiago.usm.cl/

  http://unblog.fr/

  http://www.h-mag.com/

And as I just got caught myself, there are two sides to WordPress;
      The hosted blogging site http://wordpress.com/
      The community self-hosting site for "WordPress" the software
http://wordpress.org/

Either way, yes a more dynamic and easily delegated administered site is
a good thing.

    S.