On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:58:35 +0200, Torsten wrote in message
<201010201358.35298.tors...@t3r.de>:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I would just like to drop a note here, announcing that FSWeekend,
> > the largest flight simulation event in Europe is coming up again.
> > As in previous years, the event will be organized in the Aviodrome,
> > the aviation museum at Lelystad (EHLE) airport, in the Netherlands.
> > This year, the event will be held on Saturday 6, and Sunday
> > November 7. Last week, I signed us up for having a booth again, and
> > have already received confirmation that we're welcome. Last year we
> > had one of the larger booths, and a pretty good show. I certainly
> > hope to be able to improve upon that one.
> >
> > In addition to FSWeekend, a number of people, most notably Willie
> > Flemming, have coined the idea of organizing a developer meeting /
> > conference to coincide with FSWeekend. I am supportive of that
> > idea, but unfortunatly lack the resources to assist in organizing
> > such an event. However, speaking from past experience I do know
> > that such meetings are typically a lot of fun, and I would most
> > definitely welcome anybody who would like to join or participate in
> > such an event.
> >
> > In any case, if you happen to be around and have some time
> > available, please stop by for a quick chat with one of our booth
> > staff members,  and share your FlightGear experience with us.
> >
> > Hope to see you all in large numbers! :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Durk
> I am very proud to announce that German hardware vendor Thomas-Krenn
> AG has sponsored a workstation to help us present the latest and
> cooles features of FlightGear at this year's FSWeekend. The machine
> specs are, well, insane:
>
> dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690  @ 3.47GHz, total of 24 cores

..2 cpus x 6 cores/cpu x 2 threads/core = 24 threadsss, ;o)
'cat /proc/cpuinfo' will mention "ht" on the 24 "flags" lines.
A wee hint that FG should run on more than one thread? ;o)

> 12GB RAM

..this will do for running FG from ram disk, just try it,
e.g. off a Knoppix style Live-CD, boot it with "toram",
then do the " aptitude update ;aptitude install flightgear \
;aptitude clean ;fgfs & " dance and _enjoy_. ;o)

> four nvidia GTX460 with 2GB RAM each.
> enough harddrive space, sound, DVD, etc., etc.
>
> http://www.t3r.de/flightpics/ThomasKrenn-workstation1.jpg
> http://www.t3r.de/flightpics/ThomasKrenn-workstation2.jpg
> http://www.t3r.de/flightpics/ThomasKrenn-workstation3.jpg
> (how many DVI adaptors do you count? Yes, eight!)

..and 4 VGA too.  A dozen screens to make a nice igloo? ;o)

> We met the nice guys of Thomas-Krenn AG at this year's LinuxTag where
> we were almost booth neighbours. Durk, Martin and I visited the their
> headquarter a few weeks ago. We received a very warm welcome and had
> the oppertunity to visit the entire company.
>
> If you are in the need for professional server- or workstation
> hardware, you might want to consider visiting
> http://www.thomas-krenn.com/ and support our supporters.

..and they sell 18 screen setups... ;o)

> If you were still looking for an excuse to fly into Amsterdam and
> visit FSWeekend, this machine definitely is one!
>
> Cheers, Torsten

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: