This looks to be more of a moral issue than a legal one.

I'll tell you what I'll do about this. I was born and raised in Christchurch,
where this guy operates from, and I will be visiting the city in a months time.
Perhaps I should pay the guy a visit?

I wanna know where this guy gets off taking all YOUR hard work, and PROFITING
from it, with NOTHING returned to the flightgear community. The legality of his
actions could be debated in a court of law forever, but perhaps a bit of face
time to directly express the sentiments of the flightgear community with the
dude might convince him that there are REAL people who consider his actions
immoral - you guys are more than just names attached to code commits on the
internet, and I think this guy needs to be reminded that without your
efforts his little endeavour would amount to NOTHING.

I'm sure with some 'friendly persuasion' I can convince the guy to give a bit
back. After all if he can help the efforts to improve flightgear, that will
have
a flow-on effect for him. He scratch our back, we scratch his...

Regards,

Chris Wilkinson, YBBN/BNE.