On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:
> Ok, Stuart and Martin make a fair point.  Lets move forward with putting
> something onto the main FlightGear page.  Stuart, you mentioned a faq you
> had drafted?
> Thanks,
> Curt.

Hi Curt,

The latest version of the FAQ (v1.4) is below. This was agreed on this
list back on 26 December, 2009, with a fair
bit of discussion, so it should still be valid. It is probably worth
updating it with the other names of FPS (FlightPro Simulator)

Amusingly, while some of the statements were time specific (new
release in the new year...), they mostly still apply.

There is a version on the wiki, but it has since been modified by
various people to something more emotional and prejorative,
which nicely illustrates the point Martin and I were making :)

-Stuart

FlightGear Flight Pro Sim Statement (v1.4):

As many people will be aware, there is a new flight simulator product
that is being widely and actively
marketed at the moment - Flight Pro Sim. As it is almost entirely
based on FlightGear, there is
some confusion between the two. To help provide some clarity, and answer some
common questions, we (the core FlightGear development team) felt it
was appropriate to make a statement, and provide a FAQ.

FlightGear is an open-source flight simulator that was started in
1996. It is released under
the GNU General Public License v2, and as such, it is free to use,
modify and distribute with few restrictions. It has been
developed with the collaboration of a large number of individuals over
the last 12 years. FlightGear can
be downloaded at no cost from http://www.flightgear.org.

Flight Pro Sim is a commercial product very heavily based on FlightGear.
Investigation by a number of the FlightGear developers has found no
difference between this and the
FlightGear v1.9.1 release other than a change of name. Flight Pro Sim
is in no way endorsed or supported by the core FlightGear development team.

Given the similarities between Flight Pro Sim and FlightGear, we would
recommend that prospective buyers download
FlightGear for free and satisfy themselves that Flight Pro Sim
provides worthwhile value for money before purchasing it.

FAQ:

Q: What is the difference between FlightGear and Flight Pro Sim?