On 24 Dec 2010, at 17:32, Mirko Stanisak wrote:

> in this context I would like to point you to a text-to-speech library
> developed by the Carnegie Mellon University: Flite (festival-lite, see
> http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/). It can be embedded in existing code
> quite simply, requires no additional dependencies, is thread-safe and
> distributed under an X11-like license which should (please correct me if I'm
> wrong) be compatible with the GPL...

Looks very interesting - have you used it yourself? Would be good to know how
complete, actively maintained and so on it is.

I'd sooner ship 2mb of code than 30mb of wav files, if it opens the door to
arbitrary, ideally Nasal-based, ATC/ATIS/etc. Festival has always been too
scary to consider embedding.

James