On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Heiko Schulz wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>> understand: The problem is
>> really only the Red Bull logo, as they are
>>> known to make problems. If other sims use this logo,
>> then only because
>>> Red Bull didn't discoverd it yet. Mostly all other
>> logos using in this
>>
>> Citation please.
>
> Easy: Google "Red Bull Trademark" and you will find forums discussing this
> topic.
> Better: Google: "Red Bull Trademark sue"

"red bull sue" is a lot funnier.

Regardless, nothing relating to open source use of logos on aircraft
models in flight simulator.

Note that I actually found a picture of a real AH-1 Cobra
(http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image49158.html) in Red Bull livery -
this tells me that if Jack's AH-1 uses this same livery, there is likely
no infringement at all.  No more so than someone painting a picture of the
Red Bull Cobra would be.

> http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=261953 Here the user
> "Stefan" asked Red Bull for using their logo for a RC-model which he
> does use only for his own and now got an answer (in german):

Awesome.  Presented in a country in which I don't reside _and_ in a
language I don't read or speak.

If the model the person wanted to put the RB logo on is one not
traditionally marked by them, then yeah, I can see they'd have a problem
with it.  However, if it's an accurate representation of something found
here:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1191&bih=700&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=red+bull+aircraft+collection&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

I would suspect that RB a) would have no problem with and b) would have no
reasonable legal remedy because the model would be an accurate scale
representation of a real world object.  This of course may be an incorrect
assumption - I'm (obviously!) not a trademark attourney.

Note that while hard to see from your high horse, you might want to look
closely at every single aircraft in the library.  See a "Boeing 747" in
there? Sorry, that's a trademark violation!  Get rid of it or rename it.
Ohh, I see a Ryan Navion.  That's a violation too.  We'll have to call it
"Plane, General Aviation, Monocoque Design, 1947".  Oh darn, lookee
there! It's a Piper Seneca II!  That's gotta go!  We'll call that one
"Plane, General Aviation, Twin, Reciprocating Engine".

Like Curt mentioned earlier, you'd better apply the same standard across
the board or don't bother.  I think your best bet is to create your own
little private sanitized aircraft collection so you don't have to be
horrified by the rest of us scoff-laws.

After you're done taking chainsaw to the FlightGear repository, you really
should head over to Avsim.com, flightsim.com, etc. and make sure there's
no icky trademark infringement going on over there as well.  I'm sure
they'll appriciate you just as much as we do!

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

by the clean end.