On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Jon S. Berndt wrote:
> If in doubt – in fact, even if not in doubt – it’s good to ask.
>
> Here’s an actual data point.

<snip>

I agree with Jon on this - ideally we should be pro-active about
asking for permission, even if we don't like the answer.

We could send out a series of emails to all the trademark holders we
can identify, starting with the airlines as the most obvious case of
us using trademarks. I would be happy to draft a standard text
describing FG and our use of trademarks, so it would be a case of a
simple cut-and-paste and not much effort on our part. Obviously as
soon as we do that we are increasing our visibility, and would really
need to be prepared to respond and remove content if they said "no".

I understand that is not really going to be acceptable to the "better
to ask forgiveness than permission" side of the argument, so I'm just
putting it out there as an option. No need to shoot it down.

Trying to be a bit more constructive and to find a compromise, we
could follow the JSBSim lead, and include some form of disclaimer that
we are not connected or endorsed by any of the trademark holders whose
trademarks are included in FG, and all trademarks are the property of
their respective owners, yada yada yada. If we were feeling
particularly keen we could include some defined process for trademark
holders to contact us if they want their trademarks removed.

It could be included in a README, and the manual. That would at least
show any trademark holders that we're not attempting to rip them off.

Jon - could you post the disclaimer text you eventually used?

-Stuart