> My suggestion:
> get a board from
> http://www.diolan.com/i2c/u2c12_doc/u2c_spi_config_ss_fun.html

Bookmarked, I will read more about those products, but looks to beexpensive,
I'm going for a cheaper (more homemade) solution. Suggestion accepted anyway,
will think about.

> and 7-segment driver chips from Maxim (7219)

I'm already driving the 7segments with the 7219 :-) One 7219 for each
5x7segments unit.

Still using Arduino to do that. I'd like to build a complete KX165 unit
replacement with a single Arduino (not that complex btw).