>> My suggestion:
>> get a board from
>> http://www.diolan.com/i2c/u2c12_doc/u2c_spi_config_ss_fun.html
>
> Bookmarked, I will read more about those products, but looks to
> beexpensive, I'm going for a cheaper (more homemade) solution. Suggestion
> accepted anyway, will think about.

IIRC it was around $100.00, probably a bit of overkill for your project,
but definitely a lot of capability for expansion,  will drive up to 20
slaves plus a couple of GPIO pins, and other I/O features. They also
provide excellent software support for both MS and Linux

>> and 7-segment driver chips from Maxim (7219)
>
> I'm already driving the 7segments with the 7219 :-) One 7219 for each
> 5x7segments unit.

Thats a nice chip, easy wiring and a couple of straight forward instructions.

> Still using Arduino to do that. I'd like to build a complete KX165 unit
> replacement with a single Arduino (not that complex btw).

with the i2c board and an SPI bus, you need to design for longer cable
runs to all your slaved devices and handle bus termination issues to
prevent signal reflections corrupting the SPI protocol transmissions

The Arduino looks interesting, your project gave me some ideas for wiring
up the overhead panel and driving some servos and gauges, thanks for info

John