Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> I don't think there's a convincing reason why it can't wait until the next
> development cycle, but I was unclear as to whether aircraft were
> considered major features.

Ah, well, aircraft are a pretty prominent feature in flight simulation,
don't they  ;-)

While we're at it, two ideas spring to my mind - feel free to discuss,
if you see fit:

a) With a bit of luck, a shorter development cycle will probably teach
   every of us to do things more incrementally, where possible. To pick
   an obvious and very simple example: There's no need to wait four
   months (!!) for an arcraft panel overhaul to occur just to revert
   one or two textures to their previous state.
   As a neat side effect, doing things more incrementally also
   facilitates debugging, where required - generally speaking  :-)

b) I'd say we may silently take for granted that those contributors who
   are committing major aircraft changes _after_ the freeze do expect
   the respective aircraft not to apply for getting included in the
   release package.

> Given that they should be self contained and shouldn't affect any
> other part of the sim, [...]

Quite often aircraft changes _do_ affect other parts - at least in
several cases they do affect the frame rate/latency because many
'improvements' also include "cool automization features you don't want
to miss" ....  or the like  :-)
This is probably not the case for Gijs' proposed panel update of the
c172, therefore I'd like to emphasize that decisions about what to
include after the freeze should be made on a case-by-case basis.

> There's always going to be another release, and with the current plan it'll
> be sooner rather than later!

Exactly ....  and since adding major features _now_ also carries the
risk of delaying the current _plus_ the next release as well, I'm in
favour of taking the release plan seriously.

Cheers,
        Martin.