On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> There is a <bias> element to add an offset to the property value just before
> step and scroll are applied. If you pick it small enough, It gets cut off by
> the <step> element but gets you past the roundoff error.

Thanks Torsten. I should have read the documentation a bit better before
posting.

Problem turned out to be because I wasn't thinking enough about how
the <step> tag worked, which is to round down rather than towards zero.

Hence, the correct <bias> tag for the -ve values were the same as the
equivalent <step> values:

 <animation>
    <type>textranslate</type>
    <object-name>vs-digit2-minus</object-name>
    <property>/autopilot/KAP140/settings/target-pressure-rate-fpm</property>
    <factor>-0.0001</factor>
    <step>1000</step>
    <bias>1000</bias>
    <axis>
      <x>1</x>
      <y>0</y>
      <z>0</z>
    </axis>
  </animation>

All working now. No idea how the previous animation became broken, nor why the
previous animation ever worked, but I'm not going to spend time thinking about
it given the difficulty I had understanding how it's supposed to work!

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the RTFM questions.

-Stuart