On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM,  Thorsten Renk wrote:
>> Yes, the sprite is selected from the sheet randomly on the x-axis and
>> based on it's height in the cloud on the y-axis for precisely this
>> reason.
>>
>> The behaviour isn't switchable at present though it could be.
>>
>> For the relatively small texture sheets I used in the default 3D
>> clouds, I simply
>> duplicated the textures, so you'd have a 2x6 or 3x9 sheet. Given that
>> cloud
>> performance is effectively limited by sprite resolution and coverage
>> rather
>> than texture sheet size, that might be OK. Otherwise I can add a switch
>> fairly easily. Let me know if you want me to do so.
>
> If it's not too much trouble, I think the switch would be nice.
> Duplicating textures in this case (since a single image has about 1000x400
> pixels) would mean going to a 2048x1024 sheet (possibly doesn't work) or
> then quadrupling it with several permutations on 2048x2048 - which seems a
> waste of good disk space.

I've got a patch to do this that I'll submit shortly. the parameter is
<height-map-texture>, and it defaults to false.

I'm also taking the opportunity to change some of the defaults, so that the
max-[cloud|sprite]-[width|height]-m> parameters default to 1.5x the min
equivalent.

I suspect it won't make much difference to your clouds, as I expect you'll
want to explicitly set all the parameters, but it should mean the defaults
make more sense.

> I've done my first 'real' flight (i.e. not using the ufo) with the new
> system (and after compiling against OSG 3.01) yesterday - just a short hop
> from KLSV to KINS with the F-16 - framerate never dropped below 40 fps
> even with a fairly dense layer and 45 km visibility, in sparse clouds
> climbed above 70 fps. Pretty awsome... I don't really know how much of
> this is due to the new OSG version and how much due to the different
> cloud/terrain interaction system, but the combination is rather powerful.
> Even without splitting a sky generation across several frames, the delay
> building a new tile is actually less than the texture loading delay when I
> turn my head in the F-16 too much...

Fantastic. I look forward to seeing the final results.

-Stuart