On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 12:02 PM,  Thorsten Renk  wrote:
> Thanks. I have to take a look at the max-cloud-height-m - currently I'm
> only setting min-cloud-height-m for the following reason:
>
> It seems to me that the cloud *center* gets placed at (alt-ft +
> layer_altitude), such that (0.5 * cloud-height-m) is below the specified
> altitude and (0.5 * cloud-height-m) is above. For small sized clouds,
> that's not an issue, because the layer comes out right anyway.
>
> Now, at least convective layers in flat terrain have a relatively sharp
> altitude for the cloudbase - even if cloud tops can vary by a large
> margin, it simply doesn't do to have a cloudbase 500 m lower than for the
> surrounding clouds (for a cloud top, that's quite okay). It took my 30
> minutes yesterday to find out that this was the trouble with my developing
> Cb clouds - so I fixed cloud-height-m to not have random variation and
> stacked the cloudlets using my routines such that the cloudbase is
> constant but the top of the layer may vary.
>
> Basically, in the current setup using random cloud-height-m between min
> and max values, it's impossible to get a well-defined cloud base altitude,
> because I can't know the random value for the height up front. I don't
> know if it makes sense to alter it though - for other layers, it may be
> useful to place the center at given altitude...

I'm sure I can solve this with a bit of coding. :)

I can see that it makes more sense to have the altitude define the base of
the cloud rather than the centre. I'll change the code to do that.

For layers with a more variable cloudbase, that variability can be defined
in the cloud layer.

> I also came across a second issue (sorry, they just keep coming...)

FYI, I just spotted what looks like another bug in the <bottom-shade>.

> Large cloudlets tend to vanish from view at the edges of the view field. I
> suspect I understand why:

I'll take a look at this too. I suspect that the problem is simply the bounding
box defined for the cloud.

-Stuart