On 10/18/2011 10:24 AM, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
> = IMPORTANT NOTICE TO EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF FGDATA
> OR AIRPLANES THEREIN =
>
> Thanks to the concentrated effort of all people involved, most notably
> Jorg - who I'd hereby like to thank on behalf of all of us, for spending
> three successive days and nights branching, cloning, filtering,
> splitting and verifying data -
>
> FGDATA has, by today, successfully been split
>
> into individual repositories, comprising the respective planes and
> FGDATA "core" data.
>
> Again:
>
> === !!! ===
> > From the present day on, the development version of FGDATA NO LONGER
> CONTAINS ANY AIRPLANES - You will have to clone a new FGDATA!
> ===========
>
> - Airplanes migrated -
>
> All airplanes, hitherto found in $FGDATA/Aircraft/, have been removed
> from that place in the development version of FGDATA and can presently
> be found in their individual repositories at the following URL
>
> https://gitorious.org/flightgear-aircraft
>
> (Disclaimer: HTML page is rather huge)
>
> Please contact either of the following administrators to be given
> priviledges on one of those repositories:
>
> https://gitorious.org/+flightgear-aircraft/memberships
>
> - New FGDATA Core -
>
> FGDATA is now without any aircraft. The only things which remain in
> FGDATA's "Aircraft" directory are general purpose data which are used by
> a bulk of different airplanes. The respective directories of these data
> are
>
> Generic
> Instruments
> Instruments-3d
>
> Despite its name, now a historical relict, NO AIRCRAFT SHALL EVER BE
> PUSHED TO $FGDATA/Aircraft.
>
> The new FGDATA can be found in the official repository at the following
> URL
>
> https://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata-new
>
> The repository is named "fgdata-new" for the time being and the old
> "fgdata" is kept arround, frozen, to have a fallback if anything should
> happen.
>
> Please contact either of the following administrators to be given
> priviledges on the new fgdata repository:
>
> https://gitorious.org/+flightgear-developers/memberships
>
> - Development -
>
> All aircraft related development shall henceforth be performed on
> repositories which are maintained by the respective authors.
>
> It is planned that most of the repositories on
>
> https://gitorious.org/flightgear-aircraft
>
> will be dissolved over time and be taken over by the respective authors.
I don't understand the above (up to - Development -).

Questions:
1.  Are you saying that aircraft developers cannot leave their aircraft in

        https://gitorious.org/flightgear-aircraft

indefinitely?  So do we need to set up our own git repository for each
ac we maintain?  This raises the knowledge/experience bar required for
aircraft developers/maintainers.

2.  Assuming the answers are no, yes, to #1, will all these repositories
be centrally located so one can track new or modified ac of interest?

3.  Is there any interest in creating repositories by ac class/type?
e.g. historical, military-fighter, military-transport,
civilian-light-ac, airliners, etc.

By the way, thanks for all the work on this and also for this helpful
note of documentation!